Licenced premises, restaurants, cafes, caterers and wineries, form a part of the Australian lifestyle, but each of these business streams come with their own requirements under the Liquor Control (Reform) Act and Food Act.

Compliance requirements imposed by local Councils, the Victorian Commission for Liquor and Gambling Regulation and Victoria Police are continually increasing, and licensees and business owners must ensure that their premises and businesses are compliant.

Harwood Andrews acts on behalf of numerous licensees and advises on all transactions involving liquor licences, including:

  • Sales and purchases of business with liquor licences including due diligence and negotiation of contract terms

  • Sales and purchases of land subject to a liquor licence

  • Advising landlords and tenants on leases of licenced premises

  • Compliance advice for licenced premises, including redline plans, types of licences required for the operation of a business, advice to sporting clubs on licencing matters, responsible service of alcohol compliance, maximum patron numbers and declarations of associates

  • Advising on new licence applications, licence variations and transfer applications with the VCGLR

  • Acting on behalf of councils and licensees on liquor related planning matters

  • Preparing management agreements for the management of licenced premises.

Harwood Andrews also acts on behalf of numerous hotel and motel operators and caravan parks and is able to provide advice on the sale and purchase of hotels and motels, and the sale or lease of caravan parks, including leases of Crown Land.

Liquor, Hospitality and Tourism Contacts

Rod Payne
Harwood Andrews
03 5226 8541|  0407 268 541

Vittoria De Stefano
Principal Lawyer
Harwood Andrews
03 5226 8520  |  0407 091 301


Business Services > Liquor, Hospitality and Tourism