Jim Rutherford is a Principal of Harwood Andrews. His practice focuses on the prevention and resolution of disputes faced by his clients.
Jim is accredited by the Law Institute of Victoria as a specialist in workplace relations law and he heads our workplace relations team. Jim practised as a barrister before joining Harwood Andrews.
He appears as an advocate in Fair Work Australia, The Federal Magistrates Court, The Magistrates’ Court of Victoria, The County Court and Supreme Court.
Jim’s approach is to listen to clients, determine the right solution to resolve the dispute and then apply his significant mediation experience to deliver the best possible result.
Jim is respected for his knowledge and expertise regarding workplace relations issues and regularly presents to employer groups and human resources managers on employment and industrial relations matters.
Jim’s key areas of practice include:
- Employment contracts
- Employment disputes
- Workplace bullying and harassment
- Equal opportunity, discrimination and sexual harassment
- Occupational health and safety
- Industrial relations disputes
- Workplace investigations
Jim’s professional commitments include:
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria Workplace Relations Specialisation Advisory Committee
- Member of the Workplace Relations Specialist Group
- Member of the Deakin University School of Law Academic Advisory Board
- Member of the Australian Labour Law Association
- Member of the Geelong Law Association (former president)
- Founding member and past president of The Barwon Community Legal Service
- Chair of Time for Youth
- Deputy Chair of Barwon Child Youth and Family
Download a PDF version of Jim Rutherford's Professional Profile